Major rain!!

russellc
russellc
I leave my pool for 5 days and we got so much rain that my CH went down 50, CYA down 10 and Salt down 200 ppm. Amazing. I'm happy about the CH drop but I had just added more salt and CYA a couple of weeks ago. Well, the free water ain't bad. Back to 100+ degree days!!

Comments

• lightmaster
    lightmaster
    I've had to drain 1-2 inches of water from my pool 3 times in as many weeks. And I finished installing my skimmer, new return, and aerator today, so with the skimmer in the pool wall, gotta keep it an inch lower from now on
  • Holydoc
    Holydoc
    Besides having to drain a few inches after these rains, I typically do not have to adjust any chemicals.  I suppose it is the percentage of water that is added to your pool as opposed to the amount.  Maybe 20K gallons + pools have a much higher tolerance to the rains than smaller ones. 

I typically get some dirt and lots of beetles (they can't be skimmed if the water is above the skimmer) whenever we get a rain.  After a drain of a few inches and Flipper the robot, it is clear as a bell.

• russellc
    russellc
    Yeah my pool is around 13k gallons and I have an overflow pipe coming out of one of the skimmers. When we get tons of rain it just drains some water. I think we got about 2.5 inches one days and close to 4 the next. That's a lot of water in my smallish pool.

Anyways, I added a small amount of CYA and salt and I'm all back to normal now. Just surprised me. I haven't had to add salt or stabilizer in a long time. 
  • russellc
    russellc
    So the major rain I was talking about a couple weeks ago is nothing compared to what we have now. I hope the users in south Texas are doing alright. Best of luck. 
  • lightmaster
    lightmaster
    russellc said:
    So the major rain I was talking about a couple weeks ago is nothing compared to what we have now. I hope the users in south Texas are doing alright. Best of luck. 

On the bright side, if the someone had a new AG pool, they just need to set it up and it would be filled by nature for free. 

All joking aside, hope everyone's house, property, and loved ones are okay.
  • russellc
    russellc
    Rain is over here and I lost about 12.5% salt and calcium.  CYA went down 20 somehow though.  That's more like 25%.  I am going to retest that today before I add more Stabilizer.  But you know how CYA testing goes.  Sometimes it can be a little hard to tell perfectly.
  • lightmaster
    lightmaster
    At best, the CYA test is only accurate to 10ppm, which is why we always round up to be safe.